We are gearing up for some big changes around our house. For once, it really isn't about Scarlett.
First, I am going back to work. Not full time, and only for a few weeks, but it's work. I will be teaching a kindergarten Head Start class beginning next week. I'm excited to get back to the classroom, and to work with kids again. It's a great opportunity to get my feet wet in a classroom again, as well as a foot in the school district's door for Fall hiring. I haven't really worked (for pay!) since I went out on maternity leave in 2010, and we have decided it's time I start looking into going back to work, at least part-time.
The challenge, however, is that this is the first time in two years I am not available full-time to chauffeur Scarlett to the necessary appointments. Though she's doing well in all areas, she is still very busy - 5 therapy appointments (2 OT, PT, 2 hearing/speech) each week, plus regular visits to all the other specialists. We're hoping that most of these can be moved to the afternoon so that I can still attend regularly; I'm really not ready to be cut out of the loop. In addition, Scarlett can't exactly come to school with me. Since my mom works for the school district too, she will be off, so she will watch Scarlett whenever Chris needs to work in the morning (he's still at Starbucks, so he works either the 4am opening shift, or closes until 8.)
Amidst this, we are gearing up to move. We've been talking about it for a long time, and it's still in the early phases, but there is no way around it any more. Sometime over the summer, we will be moving across town into my parents' house. It's not ideal (for them or us) but we have all agreed that it's the right thing to do to get us back on track for a better future.
We've lived here for nearly six years, ever since my parents first bought the condo we rent. We had both graduated from college, and were ready to move closer to our families. We never imagined living here this long, especially with a baby. Now, thanks to the bigger issues in the world, the condo is no longer a good investment for my parents, especially with us not able to pay much in rent anymore. I'm still not sure what the plan will be, but the real estate agent comes today to see the place and give her recommendations for next steps. No matter what she says, we are packing up. We need to get back to regular work, save some money and try to recapture the dreams we had for ourselves.
It's distressing, to say the least. We never thought that we would be moving back in with parents after nearly 8 years of marriage, 7 years of college and with a child, but life had dealt us the cards, so we just have to play them as best we can. We are using this opportunity to really clean out our belongings - many trips have been made to local thrift and consignment stores - and consolidate to what we really need. It's amazing how much two people can accumulate, yet hardly every use.
The most difficult aspect of moving so far is what to do with our cats. My dad is very allergic, so no cats at their house. Coincidentally, he's also allergic to dogs, but ours is a poodle mix, which means he doesn't shed, so he passes the allergen test. However, our two cats do not. We've had them since they were kittens, and now we are struggling to find them new homes. I am trying to avoid having to take them to a shelter or a placement agency. If you are in the Bay Area and know someone who could give an indoor/outdoor cat a good home, please let me know.
We are trying to keep in mind that this is a temporary move, and one that will hopefully give us a jump on a better future. We have always had big plans for ourselves, and would like to get back to them.