Scarlett was taken into surgery around 9:30 am PST. It's nearly 11, and we have not yet heard that the actual surgery has begun - they are still preparing, setting IVs and breathing tubes, etc. The OR nurse will call us soon.
The neurosurgery team took on a very short case before Scarlett's, so we were delayed a bit. It made for a very long morning, but everything went according to plan.
We signed consent for "brain tumor resection." Seeing that instead of biopsy was a bit jarring - we've been avoiding the idea of a new tumor as much as we could, but I guess the doctors aren't.
The only question I had for the surgeon this morning was how much change was evident on yesterday's MRI compared to the last imaging in October. He said very little, if any change. This gives me a bit of hope - still very slow growing. His words: "We're just going to get it out of there." I can get on board with that.
Scarlett did not sleep well last night, so by the time it was finally time to go into surgery, she was pretty cranky (but who can blame her, right?) As we handed her off, we told the surgeon that she was just too excited to see him again...he laughed and said, "Well, I got plenty of sleep." Sounds like it will be a good day for him.
For now, Chris and I are camped out in the hospital cafeteria with computers. Part of my plan to keep my mind busy while we wait and wait is working on changing some of the blog elements. If you see random changes, please be patient with me!
More to come...